If you have purchased solar panels and they were installed on your roof, you might wonder, what exactly is happening on your roof.
Let us explain:
The basic steps in solar energy generation and transmission are:
Collection of solar energy: Solar panels or solar cells are installed in a location that receives maximum sunlight exposure. The panels are made up of photovoltaic cells that convert sunlight into direct current (DC) electricity.
Conversion to Alternating Current (AC): The DC electricity generated by the solar panels is converted into Alternating Current (AC) using an inverter. AC is the type of electricity that is used in homes and businesses.
Transmission: The AC electricity generated by the solar panels is transmitted to the electrical grid through a series of electrical components, such as wires, transformers, and other electrical infrastructure.
Distribution: The electricity generated by the solar panels is then distributed to homes and businesses through the electrical grid, providing a reliable source of clean, renewable energy.
Usage: The electricity generated by the solar panels can be used for a variety of purposes, such as powering lights, appliances, and other electrical devices. Any excess electricity that is not used is fed back into the electrical grid, providing additional benefits to the community.
Solar Energy Production In San Diego
It’s difficult to provide an exact figure for the amount of solar energy produced in San Diego, as this can vary greatly depending on factors such as weather conditions, time of day, and the number of installed solar panels
However, as of 2021, San Diego is known to have a significant amount of solar energy generation capacity, with many homes, businesses, and utility-scale solar farms using photovoltaic panels to generate electricity from the sun. San Diego has a goal of being powered by 100% renewable energy by 2035 and has implemented numerous initiatives to encourage the adoption of solar energy and other forms of clean energy.
Solar Energy Production Illustrated
Breaking Down Solar Energy Production - Step By Step
1. As the sun shines on the surface of the panel,it creates an electric field.
2. The electricity generated flows to the edge of the panel, and into a conductive wire.
3. The conductive wire transfers the electricity to the inverter, where it is then transformed from DC electricity to AC, which is used to power homes and buildings.
4. Another wire then transports the AC electricity from the inverter to the electric panel on the property (i.e the breaker box), which distributes the electricity throughout the hom or building as needed.
5. Any electricity not needed upon generation flows through the utility meter and into the utility electrical grid. As the electricity flows through the meter, it causes the meter to run backward, crediting your property for excess generation.
All together, we hope that our simplified explanation of solar energy production offered an easy way to understand the exact process of renewable energy production for powering your home. Heliogold is more than happy to offer a free solar consultation.